Early Morning Poem



Kufunda Poem

by Stephen Davis

More than a quarter of a year has passed.

And gosh did that happen fast

I wonder how many more quarters there will still be?

What remains of our lifetimes? We’ll have to wait and see.

One quarter of a year outside of our home country

Trying to seek out life’s potential bounty.


I’m awake early. It’s 4 am and I cannot sleep.

Never mind, I say, that’s no reason to weep.

I moved the little side table and to my surprise

A little scorpion revealed itself before my eyes.

It’s now in a glass on the very same table

While I sit here and write my little fable…


Why are we here in this wonderful place?

Is it an attempt to escape the rate race?

Kufunda is indeed a place of learning.

So much so that there is no homeward yearning.

With grass and woodland all around,

We only hear the most peaceful sounds:

The Barn Owl screeches punctuate the night

And the Nightjars sing until the morning’s first light.


During the day we work and we play.

It is a blessing to be able to live this way.

The kids attend the village school

With classrooms tucked in the forest to keep them cool.


The parents are busy with their usual work,

And Jacqueline is on the hunt of the stories that lurk.

Before work and school we are with the horses, grooming

And with them again when their dinner timing is looming.


With horse-riding Azara’s already a pro.

The rest of us are learning (but we’re a little bit slow).

While in Zimbabwe we want to explore

Adventure awaits when you open the door.


It’s hard to believe that we are past half-way

And already we have so much to say.

As for the rest of the year, we are still not sure,

But for now we are content for the uncertainty to endure.

Comments

Popular Posts